Exemplar is a progressive knowledge firm that provides advisory services across industries to public and private companies. Our Services, in addition to the law department, include financial wealth services and insurance, tax & accounting, compliance, strategy, investment banking and debt advisory, and a FINRA broker dealer.
Company: Exemplar Companies PBC
Position: Corporate Attorney
Location: Remote with offices in New York, Boston, Delray Beach, or Los Angeles (office flexibility / hybrid model)
The Exemplar Law is growing, and we are seeking badass lawyers that can handle sophisticated transactions, securities, private equity investment deals, fund formation, private offerings, M&A, partnerships, and contracts of all kinds. We are hiring several professionals with the right combination of business savvy, entrepreneurial spirit, and with a minimum of 10 years of relevant corporate and legal business experience to join our rapidly growing firm and be part of a fun and intellectually talented team. We don’t work with assholes, so we don’t want you to be one unless our businesses need you to be. Having said that, this role will report directly to the Managing Partner, Head of Law and collaborate closely with the company’s leadership team. This is a full-time position.
The firm is supportive of talent across all levels and prides itself in building an inclusive, collaborative, and dynamic culture. The team represents people of various backgrounds, nationalities, genders, and experiences, and the firm encourages all interested candidates to apply.
The Success You’ll Build: Primary Responsibilities
- Originate business, close proactively and genuinely care for customers, and find ways to add value to their growing business.
- Closing Skills rather than handoffs is essential (Requires a deep understanding of the model)
- Experience working with emerging enterprises and mid-market companies, including general corporate work, governance, and compliance matters such as but not limited to:
- Experience with equity and debt financings, restructurings, and joint ventures
- Experience with complex transactional matters
- Broad experience in all aspects of mergers and acquisitions, including drafting and negotiating acquisition agreements and ancillary documents, and otherwise managing and closing transactions.
- Experience drafting, negotiating, and reviewing commercial contracts.
- Broad experience in private placements and public offerings, securities, secured transactions, tax, and business transactions of all types.
- Litigation finance, representing both providers and recipients of capital regarding their transactional needs
- Managing new customer prospects for legal, turnaround time, on-time delivery, and return business from existing accounts, including staff assignment
- Experience making a value proposition to customers, getting buy-in, agreement on strategy, before proceeding with work.
- Fully understand, embrace, and promote our culture and model. A passion for our values, including the abandonment of Karl Marx’s Labor Theory of Value (timesheets), and adoption of value-based pricing is a MUST. (REQUIRED READING within 1-2 months of hire: Firm of the Future)
The Experience That Will Help You Succeed:
Experience making a value proposition to customers, getting buy-in, agreement on strategy, before proceeding with work.
Ability to give not just legal advice, but business advice and life insights from years of experience.
Experience of making mistakes and learning from them so you won’t repeat them.
Experience collaborating with a team of knowledge professionals a plus.
Experience with checking your ego at the door, also a plus
The Competencies You’ll Need:
- Juris Doctorate Degree (JD) from an accredited law school required
- Excellent business judgment, ability to think strategically and to give practical advice.
- Great communication and problem-solving skills, champion at brainstorming ideas and at minding the customers.
- Ability to laugh at yourself and enjoy life.
- Ability to give not just legal advice, but business advice and life insights from years of experience.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels of an organization and to gain the trust and confidence of others.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a highly collaborative team.
- Strong work ethic and ability to make decisions, multi-task, prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously.
- Ambitious/highly motivated, strong work ethic and leadership skills, interest in taking on increased levels of responsibility.
- Extremely attentive to detail
- Basic computer skills, including, but not limited to Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and Outlook (Please dress professional from the waist up).