For the next 18 to twenty-four months, Aquarius—the altruistic innovator—is the 800-pound gorilla on the Astrological stage.
It’s doubtful anyone reading this will be surprised to hear that the current astrological climate is electrified and volatile. Change and transformation are in the Air.
Transformations are usually not stress-free, and giving birth is not a walk in the park. Yet the current astrology decisively and emphatically points to beneficial changes for both the collective and the individual.
Last December we witnessed the exceedingly rare, tight conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn at 0 degrees of Aquarius. Less than six weeks later, we observed another rare event, a grand stellium of planets concentrating in Aquarius. This entire year, we’ll witness another major event in Aquarius. Not only does the event occur in the same sign—which is already pumped full of energy like a heated up 500- megawatt tokamak—it involves the two ruling planets of Aquarius: Saturn and Uranus. These are A-List players who call the shots.
Throughout the next 2 years Aquarius is on steroids. With so much power coursing through the constellation, prepare for a super-abundance of long-lasting, high intensity Aquarian energies.
So let’s talk about this extraordinary aspect and see what we can glean from history and the pertinent wisdom. About every ten years Saturn and Uranus aspect each other in a disharmonious or tense fashion, like the “square,” which means they sit exactly 90 degrees apart on an astrological chart. But the square that predominates in 2021 is very unusual because of the hyper-Aquarian atmosphere, and because it’s a serial event.
When the outer planets line up or form a powerful angle, it’s not a drive-by. They hang out awhile. Their long orbits mean that their meeting is going to last a few months or even years. And that’s what’s in motion now with the fatherly, stoic, disciplinarian, rule-making planet Saturn, who’s in a tense posture with the maverick, rebel planet—the revolutionary inventor and game-changer, Uranus. We can say that these planets formed this harsh angle (a “square”) in mid-March 2020, about the time of the first U.S. COVID-19 lockdown.
This challenging, exciting and ultimately rewarding aspect will remain in effect for some time, at least until the end of 2022. The 2021 period is especially potent because the square aspect becomes exact three times, as they switch from direct to retrograde motion.
This planetary dance promises many surprises, leaps forward, new inventions, and exciting innovations, especially in the Taurean fields of influence (money, markets, property, values, self-esteem) and Aquarian matters (technology, invention, community, equality). Expect these advances and watershed moments to carry the flavor of the rebel-versus-the-authorities, the outsider-versus-the-system, or the champion-of-the-people. Key dates to watch are the 2-4 week periods set around the exact squares on February 17 (at 7 degrees), June 14 (at 13 degrees), and December 24, 2021 (at 5 degrees).
This year’s GameStop stock rally fiasco, much of which centered on free-trading app Robinhood (in folklore and literature, a rebellious, champion of the people), is a splendid example of the Uranian-Saturnian square, given that it resides in both technology and the internet (ruled by Aquarius) and the financial markets (Taurus’ domain).
Shocking events, powerful innovations and market upsets are on the menu in the financial technology industry, especially if they level disparities in wealth or give competitive advantages to the disadvantaged.
Looking at the qualities of the two signs and two planets will support a clearer understanding of how the energies may play out over the coming months.
Altogether, this yields a high-resolution, full color picture of the sorts of companies, ventures, opportunities, careers and projects that are strongly supported by the impactful engagement of these potent planets throughout 2021 and beyond.
Clashing Perspectives. Saturn and Uranus might be the most diametrically-opposed pair of planets we know about. The Saturn archetype is about the old, the past, the established, the traditional, the conventional, the orthodox, the conservative, the cautious, the orderly, the disciplined, the obedient, the stable and the conformist. The Uranus archetype embraces the new, the future, the original, the shocking, the innovative, the non-traditional, the progressive, the risky, the chaotic, the rebellious and the individualistic.
Butting Heads. Aquarius and Taurus are both fixed signs. This suggests immovability, intractability, intransigence and recalcitrance. Taurus is the bull, notoriously set in its ways and quite immune to the appeal of reason under some circumstances. Aquarius is the fiercely independent thinker, perhaps even more stubborn than Taurus. Disputes are not easily resolved with this locked-horns energetic configuration. Change is not easy. Witness the ultra-polarized psycho-political dynamics that characterize society at present all over the world.
One-for-All and All-for-Me. Although Aquarius and Taurus are both fixed signs, they’re distinct in the scope of their focus. Aquarius trains its lens on friends, groups, society, the community, and the collective. Taurus, with its focus on possessions and values, is distinctly more personal. Luxuries, sensual pleasures, fine goods, money and personal financial resources are in its domain. While high-minded altruistic Aquarius invents for the common good, Taurus reclines in his garden of personal delights. This dissonant weltanschauung may mean a lot of things, but it’s easy to imagine conflicts and lack of cooperation arising.
Who’s in Charge? A fascinating astrological observation is that both Saturn and Uranus are the Rulers of Aquarius: Saturn is the traditional ruler; Uranus (discovered by telescope only in 1781 CE—a key date for the American Revolution and the U.S. Continental Congress) is the modern ruler. Their oppositional characteristics, viewed side-by-side with their common rulership of the Water-Bearer sign suggest a unity of opposites, the coniunctio, a sacred-marriage or coincidentia oppositorum. These are alchemical terms. Which Zodiac signs represent the ancient spiritual-metaphysical discipline known as Alchemy? Points for you if you said Aquarius, it’s one of two (or more) that have explicit alchemical imagery associated with it.
Elemental Forces. Uranus is known as the God of the Sky, which strongly suggests an affinity to the element of Air. Aquarius is itself an Air sign, like Gemini (ruled by Mercury), and Libra (ruled by Venus). Uranus is often described as the higher octave of Mercury. While Mercury governs communication, thinking, logic, reason, its jurisdiction is more personal, conscious and active. Uranus owns the higher forms of knowledge, including imagination and more abstract and sophisticated forms of perception (calculus versus arithmetic, for example). Uranus is the planet most closely associated with astrology itself. One might say that Mercury reflects the personal, ego-self; Uranus is the realm of the Higher Self. Uranus is not at home in Earth sign Taurus, where it’s grounded and congealed into the manifest, material realm, and so we can expect a muting or distortion of its power.
Saturn is the ruler of Capricorn, as well as the traditional ruler of Aquarius. Capricorn is an Earth sign, like Taurus and Virgo, and we can observe that Saturn is not debilitated in either Aquarius or Taurus, unlike Uranus in its present position. While this might, at first blush, suggest the Earth energies will predominate over the Air, a few other factors point to the opposite conclusion. Which is good.
- The New Air Cycle for Saturn-Jupiter Conjunctions, which began December 21, 2020. I wrote about this in the February Monthly Bulletin, and much has been said about it by many other writers. For here, let’s just note that the last Winter Solstice more-or-less marks the end of a 200-year Earth cycle for this powerful conjunction (which recurs about every 20 years) and the beginning of a 200-year cycle in the Air signs. (Technically, the 1980 conjunction in Libra is the marker, but the 2000 conjunction slipped back into Taurus).
- The Aquarian Grand Stellium of February 2021. I also wrote about this very rare collection of 7-10 planetary bodies in Aquarius in the February Bulletin. This represents a huge buildup of Air energy and a cluster of complex dynamics deriving from the aspects and transits.
- Both Saturn and Uranus are rulers of Air sign Aquarius. As discussed above, Air is strongly favored over the other elements.
- All the above are strong indicators that we have entered into the Age of Aquarius, if we weren’t already in it before last December.
What else can we do to learn what this triple performance of these Aquarian rulers could mean over the next couple years? Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, so let’s take a look at previous Saturn-Uranus squares. We’ll also look at a couple other tense, disharmonious aspects—the conjunction and the opposition, because they often exhibit similar effects to the square. Altogether, we’ll call them the “Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspects.”
As we do that, we’ll look at some select areas or fields of human experience, including those that bear heavily on business, finance, economics, money and career. We should also look at other spheres or thematic aspects that characterize the nature of Saturn-Uranus and Aquarius-Taurus, such as human rights, individualism, institutions, and authorities.
We’ll journey back a few hundred years, starting around the mid-18th Century, and hone in on these areas—
Economics, Commerce and Finance
Fine Arts & Popular Culture
Literature and Philosophy
Science and Technology
Human Rights & The Collective
FAIR USE DISCLAIMERS AND NOTICES
Copyrighted and trademarked material found in this article is the property of the respective authors, owners and proprietors of such intellectual property, and not the property of the author or publisher of this article. The author and publisher of this article have no affiliation with the owners of such intellectual property. Such intellectual property is used herein pursuant to the “fair use” doctrine provided under relevant statutes, caselaw and other legal codes or regulations.
The U.S. Copyright Act of 1976 (the “Act”) recognizes a “fair use” of copyrighted content. Section 107 of the Act states: “Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.”
Although this article may contain certain copyrighted material not expressly authorized for usage herein by the copyright holder, the author of this article believes such usage is “fair use” under the Act because this article is a work of comment, news reporting, teaching and research, or is otherwise protected by Section 107 of the Act.
Under U.S. federal and state trademark law, “fair use” is a similarly well-established doctrine for material having the characteristics of this article. Trademark fair use law includes protection for usages of trademark material that are described as “nominative fair use,” “noncommercial use,” “descriptive fair use,” “news reporting” and “commentary fair use.”
Questions by or comments from authors, owners and proprietors of intellectual property used herein may be directed to info.theastroLAWger@gmail.com.
Business-related events occurring during a Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspect since 1817 include the following—
In 1817, the predecessor to insurance/financial service company Axa, is founded in Rouen, France.
On 4/7/1818, Brooks Brothers opens its first store.
In 1839, the predecessor to Berkshire Hathaway is founded.
On 3/3/1885, AT&T is incorporated in NY.
Los Angeles commences shipping oranges via rail in 1886.
Also in 1885, Honeywell’s predecessor is founded. On 5/29/1886, John Pemberton begins to advertise Coca-Cola. In 1886, Johnson & Johnson begins manufacturing healthcare products in New Jersey, United States. In 1886, Avon Products and Del Monte Foods are founded.
In 1908, Hoover acquires manufacturing rights to the upright portable vacuum cleaner.
On 8/28/1908, the predecessor to UPS is founded.
In 1917, the predecessor to Subaru is founded. In May 1918, Matshusita is founded in Osaka. In May 1918, GM acquires Chevrolet. In 1919, Bentley Motors Limited is founded. In February 1919, United Artists is incorporated by D. W. Griffith, Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks. John Browning finalizes the M1919 Browning machine gun in 1919.
On 3/31/1930, the Motion Picture Production Code is established as self-censorship guidelines for the industry. On 4/6/1930, Hostess Twinkies are invented. On 4/17/1930, Dupont invents Neoprene.
Nevada legalizes gambling in March 1931. On 9/8/1930, Scotch Tape is first sold in the U.S. On 4/25/1931, Porsche is founded in Germany.
The first charge on a Diners Club card is made on 2/8/1950; it’s the first independent payment card company in the world. On 3/8/1950, the first VW Microbus rolls off the assembly line. On 10/11/1950, the FCC issues the first license to broadcast television in color, to CBS. On 10/17/1951, CBS’s Eye logo first premieres on television.
On 11/10/1951, direct dial coast-to-coast telephone service begins in the U.S. In 1951, IBM (United Kingdom) is formed. The first official passenger flight over the North Pole is made in November 1952. The Rubik’s Cube is invented in 1974.
On 6/26/1974, the Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time, when a package of Wrigley’s chewing gum is sold. On 1/20/1975, Michael Ovitz founds CAA. On 4/4/1975, Bill Gates and Paul Allen found Microsoft in Albuquerque, New Mexico. On 9/30/1975, Hughes Helicopters AH-64 Apache makes its first flight.
On 11/30/1999, the ExxonMobil merger is completed, yielding the largest corporation in the world. On 1/10/2000, AOL announces intention to buy time Warner. On 3/4/2000, PlayStation 2 is released in Japan. On 4/3/2000, an adverse ruling against Microsoft in the U.S. antitrust suit against it. On 8/7/2000,
DeviantART is launched. On 8/24/2000, Nintendo GameCube is unveiled.
Also in 2000, Chinese search engine Baidu is established, and the Dot.com Bubble peaks in the U.S.
On 3/24/2001, Apple Computer releases Mac OS X v10.0. Apple introduces the iPod on 10/23/2001. On 11/15/2001, Microsoft releases the Xbox in the United States.
On 9/21/2020, Microsoft agrees to buy ZeniMax Media for $7.5 billion, the most expensive takeover in the history of the video game industry.
Economics, Commerce and Finance
Events relating to Economics, Commerce and Finance occurring during a Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspect since 1782 include the following—
In 1782, the first American commercial bank is opened.
On 7/11/1818, the Bank of the United States issues demands for debt repayments, triggering defaults that lead to the Panic of 1819.
On 4/8/1851, Western Union is founded. In 1850, Mayer Lehman arrives from Germany to join his siblings in dry-goods business Lehman Brothers (predecessor of the bank).
On 4/3/1860, the Pony Express begins its first run.
On 2/16/1885, Charles Dow publishes the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
The United States Army sends a convoy across the continental U.S. to evaluate the prospects for a U.S. Numbered Highway System in July 1919.
In late October 1929, the Wall Street Crash occurs. In September 1931, the U.K. abandons the gold standard.
On 1/1/1999, the euro currency is established and the European Central Bank becomes fully authorized.
On 3/29/1999, the Dow Jones Industrial Average breaks the 10,000 mark for the first time. On 3/13/2000, U.S. dollar becomes official currency of Ecuador. On 9/17/2001, the New York Stock Exchange reopens after going dark in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks, the longest closure since the Great Depression. On 12/2/2001, Enron files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the largest in U.S. history.
On 1/3/2009, Satoshi Nakamoto establishes the Genesis block cryptocurrency blockchain for Bitcoin.
On 2/27/2020, the stock market crashes: the Dow Jones plunges 1,190.95 points between late February and April 7, 2020.
Fine Arts & Popular Culture
Fine Arts- and Popular Culture-related events occurring during a Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspect since 1919 include the following—
Felix the Cat debuts in Feline Follies in November 1919.
On 4/4/1850, the city of Los Angeles is incorporated. On 11/13/1851, the first settlers arrive at present-day Seattle.
On 1/4/1883, Life magazine is founded in Los Angeles. In 1883, The first vaudeville theater is opened, in Boston, MA. On 7/4/1883, the world’s first rodeo is held in Pecos, Texas. In November 1886, the Folies Bergère stages its first revue in Paris.
Bingo is popularized in December 1929. In 1929, comic book Tintin in the Land of the Soviets begins serialization.
On 1/17/1929, comic strip hero Popeye first appears.
On 1/6/1930—A.A. Milne licenses U.S./CN rights to Winnie the Pooh.
On 5/16/1929, the 1st Academy Awards occur, a 15-minute ceremony at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. On 4/19/1930, Warner Bros. first releases Looney Tunes.
On 7/31/1930, radio drama The Shadow is first broadcast. On 8/9/1930, the first appearance of Betty Boop occurs.
The original film Dracula, with Bela Lugosi, is released in February 1931.
In June 1931, Salvador Dalí’s The Persistence of Memory is put on display for the first time in Paris.
In October 1931, Dick Tracy appears in the Detroit Mirror.
On 11/21/1931, James Whale’s Frankenstein is released in New York City.
On 1/13/1930, the Mickey Mouse comic strip first appears.
On 2/15/1950, Disney releases its 12th animated film, Cinderella.
In September 1950, comic strip Beetle Bailey is created by Mort Walker.
On 10/2/1950, the comic strip Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz is first published in seven U.S. newspapers.
On 3/12/1951, Dennis the Menace comics/comic strip appears.
On 4/29/1951, RKO releases Howard Hawks’ The Thing (From Another World).
On 9/21/1951, the 9th Street Art Exhibitiondebuts.
On 7/13/1951, MGM’s Technicolor film version of Show Boat is released. On 7/30/1951, David Lean’s Oliver Twist is released in the U.S.
On 9/3/1951, American soap opera Search for Tomorrow debuts on CBS. On 9/18/1951, The Day the Earth Stood Still and A Streetcar Named Desire are released.
On 10/15/1951, I Love Lucy debuts on CBS.
On 12/23/1951, John Huston’s The African Queen premieres. Jess McMahon and Toots Mondt found the predecessor to the WWE, in 1952.
On 3/4/1974, People magazine’s first issue is published in the U.S. On 3/8/1974, the final episode of The Brady Bunch airs. Ten days later (3/18), Lucille Ball airs the finale of Here’s Lucy, ending twenty-three years of consecutive programming.
In April 1974, Stephen King publishes Carrie, his first novel. Swedish pop group ABBA’s song Waterloo wins the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest.
In September 1974, Daredevil Evel Knievel fails to cross the Snake River Canyon in Idaho. On 11/1/1974, German electronica band Kraftwerk releases Autobahn.
On 11/28/1974, John Lennon joins Elton John in the former’s final public performance, at Madison Square Garden.
In 1974, fantasy tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons is first released.
Monty Python’s Flying Circus is first broadcast in the U.S. on PBS in 1974. On 1/6/1975,
Wheel of Fortune and AM America debut on television. On 1/15/1975, Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom) opens at Walt Disney World.
On 3/10/1975, The Rocky Horror Show opens on Broadway in New York City. On 4/3/1975, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is released in the UK.
On 5/17/1975, Elton John’s Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy sets Billboard 200 record.
On 6/20/1975, the film Jaws is released.
On 8/25/1975, Bruce Springsteen’s album Born to Run is released.
On 10/11/1975, the first episode of Saturday Night Live airs.
On 10/31/1975, Queen single Bohemian Rhapsody is released.
On 11/3/1975, The Price Is Right expands to its 60 minute format. On 11/26/1975, the cult classic movie The Rocky Horror Picture Show is released.
On 12/18/1975, events inspiring The Amityville Horror begin.
Also in 1975, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham join Fleetwood Mac, Peter Gabriel departs Genesis, and monster truck Bigfoot is created.
On 2/13/2000, Charles M. Schulz dies, the final Peanuts comic strip is published.
On 6/5/2000, digitally produced and internet-distributed viral video 405 is released. On 2/26/2001,
Daft Punk releases their second studio album, Discovery on 2/26/2001.
In April 2001, The Mel Brooks’ Producers, starring Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, opens on Broadway.
On 6/10/2007, the finale of The Sopranos airs.
On 1/20/2008, the pilot for Breaking Bad airs on AMC.
On 10/7/2008, the Spotify music streaming service is launched.
In November 2008, HBO orders production of the pilot for Game of Thrones, based on scripts written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
On 12/18/2008, James Cameron’s Avatar is released in theaters, breaking many box-office records.
On 1/8/2008, Lady Gaga’s debut single “Just Dance” hits number one on the Billboard Hot 100 after 22 weeks.
In 2008, Susan Boyle’s cover of “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Misérables gets 200 million views online.
On 4/1/2010, Justin Bieber debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, making him the youngest solo male act to top the chart since Stevie Wonder, in 1963.
On 8/24/2010, Katy Perry releases her Teenage Dream, which went on to dominate the charts for several years and break a series of sales records.
Literature and Philosophy
Events relating to Literature and Philosophy occurring during a Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspect since 1783 include the following—
In 1783, German philosopher Immanuel Kant publishes Critique of Pure Reason, which builds on the works of empiricist and rationalist philosophers, evaluates the possibilities for valid metaphysics, and distinguishes a priori and a posteriori knowledge.
In 1806, Noah Webster publishes his first dictionary.
On January 1, 1818, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is published anonymously in London. On 1/11/1818, Percy Bysshe Shelley’s Ozymandias is published.
The Spectator, oldest weekly magazine in the world, is founded on 7/5/1828.
Von Goethe’s Theory of Colours (translated by Charles Eastlake) is published in 1840.
On 3/16/1850, Nathaniel Hawthorne’s historical novel The Scarlet Letter is published.
On 11/14/1851, Herman Melville’s novel Moby-Dick is published. On 12/24/1851, the Library of Congress burns.
On 4/30/1859, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens is published; on 12/1/1860, he publishes the first installment of Great Expectations.
The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi is first published complete in book form, in Italy, in 1883. Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island is first published in book format.
In 1884, the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is first published, in London.
In January of 1886, Robert Louis Stevenson’s novella Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is published.
The Cassirer–Heidegger debate occurs at the Second Davos University Conferences, between philosophers Martin Heidegger and Ernst Cassirer, in March 1929.
- Ron Hubbard publishes Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health on 5/9/1950.
On 8/12/1951, J. D. Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye is first published in the U.S.
Science and Technology
Events relating to Science and Technology occurring during a Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspect since 1783 include the following—
On August 27, 1783, Ben Franklin observes the world’s first hydrogen balloon flight.
On 7/29/1818, Fresnel submits submits his prizewinning “Memoir on the Diffraction of Light” to the French Academy of Sciences.
The world’s first electric motor is created in 1828.
On 1/11/1838, the telegraph is first publicly demonstrated. In 1838, Proteins are discovered by Gerardus Johannes Mulder. On 2/24/1839, the patent for the Steam shovel is issued. Charles Goodyear first vulcanizes rubber in 1839.
On 8/12/1851, Singer Sewing Machine gets a patent.
On 8/27/1859, the first U.S. oil well is drilled.
On 11/24/1859, Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species.
On 4/9/1860, the first known sound recording is made. In 1860, the alkaloid known as cocaine is first isolated.
In 1861, the first complete skeleton of Archaeopteryx is identified.
Edison begins the first electric lighting system employing overhead wires in 1883. In 1883, Oxygen is liquefied for the very first time. In 1883, Robert Koch discovers the cholera bacillus. In 1884, local anesthesia is invented in Germany.
In 1886, Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile. In July 1886, inventor Charles M. Hall files a patent for his method of refining aluminium. In September 1886, the induction coil is patented. In November 1886, Heinrich Hertz proves the existence of electromagnetic waves.
10/1/1908 is the official launch of Henry Ford’s Ford Model T automobile. Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology in Boston is established under the terms of Franklin’s will in 1908.
Electromechanics company Hitachi is founded as a mining machine repair factory in 1908. In January 1931, Ernest Lawrence invents the cyclotron (particle accelerator).
The first public demonstration of color TV is held at Bell Telephone Laboratories in New York on 6/27/1929. In November 1931, heavy hydrogen, later named deuterium, is discovered.
UC Berkeley researchers announce the creation of element 98, “Californium” on 3/17/1950. On 3/31/1951, Remington Rand delivers the first UNIVAC I computer to the U.S. Census Bureau.
On 7/5/1951, RCA and GE achieve innovations with transistors. On 2/6/1952, the first mechanical heart is used in a human patient. In March 1952, Wernher von Braun publishes the first in his series of articles titled Man Will Conquer Space Soon!
In April 1952, the B-52 Stratofortress makes its first flight. On 5/3/1952, U.S. lieutenant colonels Fletcher and Benedict land a plane at the geographic North Pole. The first successful sex reassignment surgery is performed in Copenhagen in November 1952. Supramar launches the first commercial high-speed craft, a hydrofoil, in 1952.
In January 1974, General Dynamics’ F-16 Fighting Falcon makes its first flight. On 2/8/1974, the Skylab crew returns to Earth after 84 days in orbit. In November 1974, Lucy, an Australopithecus afarensis skeleton, is discovered.
On 8/20/1975, NASA launches the Viking 1 planetary probe toward Mars.
Also in 1975, the Altair 8800, an early microcomputer Altair 8800 appears. Also in 1975, Benoit Mandelbrot coins the mathematical term fractal.
On 6/1/1999, music downloading service Napster debuts. On 1/1/2000, Y2K impacts are minimal. On 6/26/2000, a preliminary draft of genomes, part of the Human Genome Project, is completed and announced at the White House.
The world’s first self-contained artificial heart is implanted in a patient in the U.S. on 7/2/2001. On 9/9/2001, the use of 10-digit decimal Unix time stamps begins.
On 10/21/2008, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is officially inaugurated.
Human Rights & The Collective
Events relating to Human Rights and the Collective occurring during a Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspect since 1783 include the following. Many of these are distinctly negative—i.e., oppressive or violent. The positive Aquarian/Uranian events are presented in blue.
On 4/18/1783, the Three-Fifths Compromise makes its first appearance in a Resolution of the U.S. Congress.
In 1804, World population hits 1 billion.
In 1807, the U.S. passes the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves.
On 3/15/1818, the First Seminole War begins.
In 1818, first edition of the Farmers’ Almanac is published in the U.S.
On 1/25/1819. Thomas Jefferson founds the University of Virginia.
On 8/2/1819, the Hep-Hep mobs begin their violent, antisemitic riots in Bavaria.
The Argentine Civil Wars are reignited in 1828.
On 5/28/1830, the U.S. Congress passes the Indian Removal Act, which has the collateral effect of mass destruction of bison.
On 8/25/1830, the Belgian Revolution begins.
In 1838, Duke University is established in North Carolina.
On 5/26/1838, the Cherokee Nation is forcibly relocated.
On 7/1/1839, the slaves aboard the Amistad rebel.
On 9/18/1850, Harriet Tubman becomes an Underground Railroad conductor. In 1850, Ireland’s Great Famine subsides.
On 5/31/1859, the Great Clock at Westminster Palace, Big Ben, is started.
On 9/17/1859, Joshua Abraham Norton proclaims himself “Norton I, Emperor of the United States.”
In 1859, Karl Marx publishes A Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy, and John Stuart Mill publishes On Liberty.
On 11/10/1861, Henri Mouhot’s discovery of Angkor Wat is revealed.
University of Texas at Austin opens in 1883.
The 8-hour workday is established in the U.S. on 5/1/1884; Labor Day is established.
After 30 years of war, in 1886, Geronimo surrenders.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are allegedly killed in Bolivia in November 1908.
On 2/12/1909, the NAACP is founded.
In July 1917, the first Cottingley Fairies photographs are taken in Yorkshire, England, apparently depicting fairies.
In July 1917, the Lions Clubs International is formed in the U.S.
On 10/13/1917, the Miracle of the Sun is reported at Fátima, Portugal.
In November 1917, Women win the right to vote in New York.
The Spanish Flu Pandemic begins in Kansas in early 1918.
On 1/9/1918, the Battle of Bear Valley occurs, one of the final battles of the American Indian Wars.
In 1918, The Native American Church is founded in Oklahoma. In February 1919, much of the Grand Canyon is made a U.S. National Park.
In April 1919, the national race riots known as The Red Summer commence in Georgia, and last through September.
The American Communist Party is established in August 1919.
The end of the global Spanish Flu Pandemic is declared in November 1930.
Grand Teton National Park is made a U.S. National Park in 1929.
On 3/12/1930, Mahatma Ghandi begins his 200 mile protest.
On 12/2/1930, Herbert Hoover asks the U.S. Congress to fund a $150 million public works program. On 5/1/1931, construction of the Empire State Building is completed.
In July 1931, the eschatological Bible Student movement adopts the name Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years in prison for tax evasion in Chicago in October 1931.
On 11/11/1950, the Mattachine Society is founded in Los Angeles, California, as the first gay-liberation organization.
On 6/15/1951, a mega-forest wildfire in New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia occurs.
July 13, 1951 is the culmination of the Great Flood of 1951, Kansas and the Midwest.
The U.S. bars Charlie Chaplin from re-entering the country in September 1952.
In October 1952, the United Nations occupies its iconic new building in New York City.
The Great Smog of London, a severe air-pollution event, occurs in November 1952.
Almost 58,000 cases of polio are reported in the U.S. by November 1952.
On 2/4/1974, Heiress Patty Hearst is kidnapped outside her apartment in Berkeley, CA.
On 3/29/1974, the Terracotta Army of Qin Shi Huang is discovered at Xi’an, China.
In April 1974, the world population reaches 4 billion.
On 5/18/1974, American millenarian New Age religious group Heaven’s Gate, is founded.
On 11/13/1974, Ronald DeFeo Jr., murders his entire family in their Amityville home on Long Island.
On 1/29/1975, the Weather Underground bombs the U.S. State Department.
On 3/4/1975, Charlie Chaplin is knighted by Elizabeth II.
On 11/10/1975, the SS Edmund Fitzgerald sinks.
Also in 1975, Lyme disease is first diagnosed.
The Columbine High School mass shooting occurs on 4/20/1999, killing 15.
On 2/29/2000, a rare century leap year date occurs.
On 4/22/2000, Federal agents raid home and seize Elian Gonzalez.
On 5/11/2000, India’s population reaches 1 billion.
On 7/14/2000, a solar flare dubbed the Bastille Day Event causes a geomagnetic storm.
Wikipedia is launched 1/15/2001.
On 1/23/2001, the Tiananmen Square self-immolation incident occurs.
On 3/2/2001, the Taliban begin destruction of the Bamiyan Buddhas.
Nearly 3000 victims are killed in the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and in rural Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
On 9/20/2001, U.S. President George W. Bush declares a “War on Terror”.
Australia’s Black Summer bushfires, which began June 2019, continue ravaging the country into March 2020.
China confirms human-to-human transmission of COVID-19 on 1/20/2020; Wuhan is quarantined 3 days later.
On 4/27/2020, the Pentagon formally releases three videos of UAP’s observed by Naval pilots.
On 5/26/2020, protests arising from the killing of George Floyd erupt across hundreds of cities in the U.S.
On 8/10/2020, the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 passes 20 million worldwide. Before year’s end, two vaccines are shown to be effective and safe, including Pfizer’s and Moderna’s.
On 12/18/2020, astronomers detect a radio signal from the closest star to the Sun, and indicate it is among the two strongest candidates for a radio signal Earth humanity received from extraterrestrial intelligence so far.
By year’s end, the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 passes 80 million worldwide, and its death toll stands at over 1.5 million.
U.S. Government and Law
Events relating to U.S. Government and Law occurring during a Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspect since 1781 include the following—
Persons. All the following American persons take key actions or play pivotal roles during a Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspect.
- Demagogues, populists, xenophobes, charlatans and biggots. American history is rich in characters like these. Few of them exhibit the higher aspects of Uranus or Saturn, although many embrace the negative qualities of one or both planets.
- Aaron Burr (1756-1836)
- Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)
- Millard Fillmore (1800-1874)
- Donald Trump (b.1946)
- Rebels, iconoclasts, revolutionaries and insurrectionists. These are also a mixed bag, in terms of positive versus shadow energies. Some of the figures in the former category can be placed here as well.
- The Founding Fathers (18th Century), including John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and George Washington
- War of the Regulation Militia Leaders (circa 1771) (Herman Husband, James Hunter, Benjamin Merrill et al)
- James Monroe (1758-1831)
- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
- Jefferson Davis (1808-1899)
- Grover Cleveland (1837-1908)
- Dwight Eisenhower (1890-1969)
- Tyrants and authoritarians. Populists and rebels need a foil, don’t they? Rarely does history view these characters in a positive light, although nothing’s absolute.
- William Tryon (1729-1788)
- Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)
- Richard Nixon (1913-1994)
- Donald Trump (b.1946)
Events. As suggested by the above, revolution and civil disobedience is a key marker of tension between Saturn (authority, tradition and control) and Uranus (independence, novelty and freedom). Major events of this nature since the mid 18th century include:
- The War of the Regulation (1765-71)
- The American Revolutionary War (1775-83)
- Colonial Settlements In Violation of King George III’s Proclamation of 1763
- The Newburgh Conspiracy (1783)
- Secession: in 1860, South Carolina becomes the first state to secede. In January and February 1861, numerous U.S. states secede.
- McCarthyism: Senator Joseph McCarthy claims the State Department is filled with 205 Communists in 1950.
- Watergate Scandal: In 1974, U.S. President Richard Nixon announces his resignation; Vice President Gerald Ford is sworn the following day. In 1975, Mitchell, Haldeman and Ehrlichman are found guilty in the Watergate scandal.
- September 11, 2001: the attack on the World Trade Center Towers (see Human Rights/The Collective, below).
Resonances. This category highlights events and dynamics that embody the qualities of innovation, originality, invention and/or liberation, key facets to Uranian energies and the Aquarian field. All are related to U.S. Government and law, and all occur or manifest during a Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspect.
- In 1782, the Great Seal of the U.S. is adopted, and the Bald Eagle is chosen as the country’s emblem.
- S. Supreme Court decides Marbury v. Madison (1803), which establishes judicial review, cementing the high court’s power to review actions of the executive and legislative branches.
- The Louisiana Purchase occurs in 1803.
- The adoption of the U.S. Flag occurs in 1818.
- In 1818, Illinois is admitted as the 21st U.S. state.
- In 1819, Spain cedes Florida to the United States.
- The Democratic Party of the United States is organized in 1828.
- In 1838, the Iowa Territory is formally established.
- In 1850, Congress orders the organization of the New Mexico Territory.
- In 1850, California is admitted as the 31st
- In 1859, Oregon is admitted as the 33rd U.S. state.
- In 1883, Alabama becomes the first U.S. state to enact an antitrust law.
- In 1883, the U.S. Supreme Court invalidates part of the Civil Rights Act of 1875.
- The Washington Monument is completed in Washington, D.C. in 1884.
- In September 1886, the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works is signed.
- In October 1886, President Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty; the first ticker-tape parade follows.
- Howard Taft wins the presidency in 1908.
- In 1917, Woodrow Wilson is sworn in for a second term as the U.S. President.
- On 1/28/1917, The United States ends its search for Pancho Villa.
- In March 1917, the U.S. Senate adopts the cloture rule, in order to limit filibusters.
- On 3/31/1917, the U.S. takes possession of the Danish West Indies, which become the US Virgin Islands.
- On 4/6/1917, the U.S. declares war on Germany.
- On 5/18/1917, The Selective Service Act passes the U.S. Congress, giving the President the power of conscription.
- In June 1917, the U.S. Congress passes the Espionage Act.
- On 3/19/1918, the U.S. Congress establishes time zones, and approves daylight saving time.
- On 5/16/1918, the U.S. Congress passes The Sedition Act of 1918.
- In January 1919, the 18th Amendment is passed, beginning Prohibition in the U.S.
- Herbert Hoover becomes the 31st U.S. President in 1929.
- In March 1931, the Star-Spangled Banner is adopted as the U.S. national anthem.
- In September 1950, the Defense Production Act is enacted into law.
- In 1951, the twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution is passed, and presidents become limited to two terms.
- In 1975, the U.S. Congress approves the Federal Rules of Evidence.
- In 1975, the Rockefeller Commission issues its report on CIA abuses.
- In 1999, the U.S. Senate acquits President Bill Clinton in his impeachment trial.
- In 2000, the Bush v. Gore case is decided: the U.S. Supreme Court orders the halting of the recount, making Bush victorious.
- The Bush Tax Cuts are passed on 6/7/2001.
- Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore has a Ten Commandments monument installed in the state judiciary building on 8/1/2001.
- In 2001, President Bush announces the establishment of the Office of Homeland Security.
- In 2001, Bush signs the Patriot Act into law.
- The first impeachment trial of President Trump begins 1/16/2020; he’s acquitted on 2/5/2020.
- In November 2020, when Joe Biden is elected the 46th U.S. President, sitting President Trump refuses to concede, shattering a tradition extending more than two centuries into the past.
- On 1/6/2021, a poorly-organized mob of insurrectionists storm the U.S. Capitol following a Presidential rally attended by numerous white-supremacist groups, QAnon believers and ardent Trump supporters, resulting in 6 deaths. It is the first ever attempted insurrection on the U.S. Capitol by a domestic force, and the first non-peaceful transition of power in U.S. history.
- In January and February of 2021, Trump is impeached again for his role in the insurrection, and again acquitted in the Senate.
As a tag: for the American Government, the 2021 Saturn-Uranus Triple Square is the prelude to the United States of America’s Plutonic Return on February 21, 2022. At that point, there will be two (2) eight-hundred pound gorillas on stage [more on this in another article to come].
Conclusions and Guidance
Saturn-Uranus Tense Aspects, historically, tell us we can expect characters, patterns, events, successes, failures, and other phenomena and resonances—cultural, sociological, political, legal and otherwise— similar to those above. Here are some conclusions and predictions based on everything above—
- Saturnians vs Uranians. The over-arching themes of oppression versus revolt, tradition versus progression, domination and subjugation, control and accession are deeply entrenched in the soil of the current landscape. It is far too simple to reduce something so complex into a facile generalization which suggests this is merely about underdogs and heroes overcoming impossible odds against corrupt power structures. And it is also too convenient to suggest that we should only expect the revolutionaries and champions to be good and well-meaning. My money is on a wide mix of energies and values that yield a vibrant (if not wholly reassuring) tapestry of human experience, and I think recent history validates that view.
- Shock and Invention. As I said in the opening comments, we’ll likely encounter many more surprises, forward lurches and impactful inventions and innovations, particularly with regard to—
- the Taurean matters of money, markets, property, values and self-esteem, and
- the Aquarian fields of technology, invention, community and equality.
- Humanitarianism, Altruism and Equality Will Win the Day. This is not me tossing you a crumb of optimism because you might want to kill yourself after reading the U.S. Government and Law section. No, this prediction is strongly indicated by the astrology. Uranus is the victor here. It’s the Higher Power, and the more senior player with the longer orbit. And apart from that, Saturn—commonly called the “Great Malefic—is not a villain. Saturn is like the athletic coach the professional athlete hates because he/she has to work so damn hard. But that coach delivers positive results. And so it is with Saturn—the taskmaster delivers great rewards as a result of disciplined effort. On top of all this, the prevailing Zodiac sign for the next two years (at least) is Aquarius—the freedom loving force for positive change for the collective.
- Unity of Opposites. Look for this magical quality—and by all means—leverage it if you can. Products, projects and ventures which can harness or exhibit this dynamic are strongly in line with the prevailing energies. As I mentioned above, the world at-large is being pulverized by hyper-polarization and dualities of thought, attitudes, dispositions, etc. Higher forms of knowledge (like astrology and alchemy) and states of consciousness (meditation, ASMR, entheogenic medicines, etc.) are likely to be in great demand in order to feed the hunger for the alchemical marriage that Saturn and Uranus represent.
- Watch closely these dates, including the 2 to four-week periods set around them:
- February 17, 2021
- June 14, 2021, and
- December 24, 2021.
The entire period of 2021-2022 will be under the influence of the Saturn-Uranus squares, but the above dates are likely to prove especially impactful.
The brightest star in the Aquarius Constellation is Beta Aquarii, which has the proper name of Sadalsuud. Sadalsuud has numerous meanings and associations, including:
“Star of Mighty Destiny”
“Luckiest of the Lucky”
“The Brightest Luck of Lucks”
For more information contact
You May Also Like
Meet The Team We're Fun, Social & Business Savvy. Brian J. Kane Tax Consultant, Exemplar Tax, LLC WHAT I LOVE ABOUT EXEMPLAR What I love about being an Exemplarite is being able to work for an organization that embodies through actions living out and...
Meet The Team We're Fun, Social & Business Savvy. William (Bill) Lloyd, CFP®, ChFC, AIF®, CPFA Advanced Tax Strategist, Exemplar Capital, LLC WHAT I LOVE ABOUT EXEMPLAR What I love about being an Exemplarite is being able to work for an organization that...
Meet The Team We're Fun, Social & Business Savvy. Jacqueline Hazan Senior Consultant, Human Resources, Exemplar Consulting, LLC WHAT I LOVE ABOUT EXEMPLAR What I love about being an Exemplarite is being able to work for an organization that embodies...